It would seem that Fleetwood may be pierless for ever more if I am to understand correctly a recent communication from Wyre Borough’s Director of Planning this week.
The owners of the former pier have had talks with Borough planners to re-develop the land where the stricken pier once stood. The talks were based upon a land only development which was not to protrude seaward over the beach. Formal planning applications have not been submitted at this stage and the owners are keen to seek advice from elected members in due course.
We are all looking forward to see the proposals however I fear that if housing is on the agenda there will be a public outcry as most will see it as salt in the wounds after loosing the landmark to fire.
I will of course keep you informed of the latest developments.
Please feel free to leave comments or suggestions as to what could be done to;
- Bring to Fleetwood a worthy replacement for its pier
- Give both residents and developers pride in achieving a compromise
- Provide ongoing viable construction in this area
- Create a new millennium attraction
- Give residents and visitors an attraction to herald the beginning of new times for Fleetwood